9/5/12

Praying 10 minutes today: THURSDAY 9/6


Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   
In my heart I treasure your promise
   that I may not sin against you...
- Psalm 119







(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)

You promise to be with me always, Lord,
   in good times and bad alike:
I treasure that promise
   even when it seems I can't find you...

You promise to fill me with your Spirit
   and your Spirit's gifts:
I cherish that promise
   and the strength and help your Spirit gives me...

You promise to show me the path of truth,
   to be my light to guide me on my way:
I prize that promise, Lord,
   especially when I'm lost and not sure where to turn...

So, keep me faithful to prayer and to your presence, Lord;
   pry me open, if need be, to fill me with your Spirit;
      make me hungry for the light of your truth:
         lest I sin against you and my neighbor...

In my heart I treasure your promise, Lord,
   that I may not sin against you...
  
You promise to feed my soul with grace,
   to nourish me with your word:
I treasure your promise, Lord
   and the bounty of the table you spread for me...

You promise to be my rock and my fortress,
   to guard me from evil and harm:
I rely on that promise and lean on your strength
   because I'm weak and can't make it on my own...

You promise to mend my broken heart
   to heal my wounds and make me whole:
I cherish your promise and your gentle touch,
   restoring my soul to your peace...

Fill me with the food of your wisdom, Lord;
   lift and hold me up when I've fall;
       make me healthy, sound and well:
          lest I sin against you and my neighbor...

In my heart I treasure your promise, Lord,
   that I may not sin against you...

I treasure your promises, Lord, but too often
   I rely upon myself for strength I don't have.
I pretend that I know more than you,
   that my way's better than what you've set before me...

And so I falter, I fail, I fall for mere illusions
   and miss how real, how true, how lasting
are your presence, your promises, your word,
   your Spirit's gifts, your nourishment and strength
      your mercy, deep and full...

Yes, you promise me your mercy, Lord,
   your pardon and forgiveness
since you know so well and better than I
   how I sin against you and my neighbor...

In the stillness of my prayer, Lord,
   remind me of your promises,
      of how you've kept them in the past
         and give me strength and hope to last
            until you prove them once again...

In the quiet of my prayer, Lord,
   help me weigh my failures in the balance of your mercy;
      help me lean on the promise of your pardon
         and deepen my trust and faith,
            lest I sin, again, against your love...

Your promises are sure, Lord:
   you always keep your word.
Help me keep my word, my faith in you,
    in good times and bad alike...

Keep me faithful in prayer to your presence,
   to your promise to be with me
and in turn I pledge my trust in you, Lord,
   lest I sin against you and my neighbor...
 
To ponder and pray over...
How has God been faithful in keeping his word to me in the past?
What promises of God do I rely on today?
What promises do I wait to be fulfilled?
Can I be faithful while I wait for God's promises to be kept?
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!