3/24/13

Homily for Palm Sunday 2013


Detail from Crucifix by Cimabue

Words embedded in our hearts
(Scriptures for today's Mass)

Audio for Homily


Although it's at the very heart of our faith,
the story of the suffering and death of Jesus
is recounted in its entirety only twice a year,
and then in the same week,
on Palm Sunday and Good Friday.


Though we hear this story infrequently,
its images, scenes and characters are vivid in our imagination.
Particular words and phrases
have embedded themselves in our memory and in our hearts,
evoking repentance and prayer...

Don't these words echo in a place deep in your soul?
Jesus took his place at table...

"This is my body, given for you..."

"A new covenant in my blood, shed for you..."

"The one who is to betray me is with me at this table..."

"I tell you Peter,
before the cock crows this day
you will deny three times that you know me..."

"Father, if you are willing,
take this cup away from me;
still, not my will but yours be done..."

"Judas, will you betray me with a kiss?"

"I do not know the man...
"
Peter went out and wept bitterly...

They held him in custody,
they ridiculed and beat him,
they blindfolded, struck him and reviled him...

"Away with this man - give us Barabbas!"

"Crucify him!"

"Father, forgive them, they know not what they do..."

"Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom..."

"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit..."

He breathed his last...
Any of these words, these phrases, these images
would be good food for prayer in the days ahead...

We enter the Week we call Holy
when Christians around the world pause
to remember and celebrate the death and resurrection
of Jesus Christ.

May the story of his suffering and death
refresh our faith in his love poured out for us...

As we gather throughout this week
let us recall and pray over the events
that brought us salvation...

May the words of Jesus' passion, embedded in our hearts,
bring us to the peace and joy of Easter.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!