7/13/13

Pause for Prayer: SUNDAY 7/14

Photo by RMH

A slightly different format for today's Pause for Prayer.  The photo above and the text just below are from the post Four Pieces of Wood on Ruth Hamilton's blog, Keeping Me In Stitches. (Ruth is my sister.)  My prayer, in italics, follows the reflection from her page.
Generally, I follow the same route on my morning walk which means that I pass these trees several times a week. They're by the side of the road, not hidden in any way, but I had never noticed them until about a week ago and then only because my grandson, Austin, pointed them out to me.  He  told me there was an old ladder there - and, sure enough, there is.  Well, really only four pieces of wood, but arranged so they could be a ladder.

A few days later, my husband and I were driving Austin and his sister, Ruby, home.  As we approached the trees, Austin called out for Grandpa to stop the car to see the ladder.  Then our grandson told us a delightful story of how a fox had built a tree house up above but that both the fox and the tree house were now long gone, with just the ladder as a reminder of the fox's fun there.

I wish I could think as a five-year-old...

Lord, give me a child's imagination 
      to wonder about the world around me
and to wander in dreams of all that might have been,
   with hope for all that might yet come...

Let me dream of foxes housed in trees and a time*
   when lambs shall play with wolves,
when cows and bears shall graze in peace
   and no harm come on all the earth...

Give me a child's mind and eye to see the world
   as you do, Lord, as it was made to be,
where a stand of trees and scraps of wood become
   a ladder to your heart and peace...

Lord, give me a child's vision, pure 
   and unrestrained by age and disappointment:
give me dreams of all that might have been 
   and hope  for all that's yet to come...

*Isaiah 11: 9-9




   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!