6/8/14

Monday Morning Offering: June 9


Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

Speak to me, Lord, and please,
speak in a language I can easily understand...

Use everyday words and phrases
and nothing I have to look up...

Speak in the syntax of troubles I face,
from my glossary of worries and fears...

Use the nouns of my everyday life,
and the verbs of my daily routine...

Find adjectives true to things as they are,
and adverbs to show how I'm doing...

Speak to my cluttered confusion
in expressions my mind comprehends...

No need to sweeten or spin a hard saying:
speak the truth in plain prose so I'll hear it...

(And, well, if you like, some slang is ok:
I use it myself now and then...)

Speak to my heart in an accent familiar,
in a dialect known to my soul as its own...

Speak to me, Lord, in a language we share,
from a treasury of words on the tip of my tongue...

And if I'm not listening, speak up 'til I do,
'til I'm hearing all you've got to say...

And when I reply, let my words be simple,
and true to the person I am...

Let the words of my prayer be my own, Lord,
no matter how clumsy my speech...

Let our conversations be open and honest
and our words be simple and true...

And most of all speak in the language of love
words of mercy and pardon and peace...

Speak to me, Lord so I'll understand
and help me to know you understand me...

Amen.




     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!