8/10/14

Monday Morning Offering: August 11


Image: George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

Just a few days ago, Lord,
in response to something oh-so-very-small,
I found myself sputtering,
ready to spit a quick-tempered response -
but before a word came from my lips
your Spirit gave me pause
and I realized how often, how quickly,
how easily I can think:
it's all about
me...
I'm embarrassed to say that, Lord,
but I know it's true...

Accept the chagrin of a contrite heart
and give me a heart like yours, Lord:
slow to anger, rich in kindness,
open and forgiving...

I'm still grateful for your grace, Lord,
keeping me in check
and I regret the times I've missed your prompt
for me to "count to ten" and spare those in my path
my foolish fuss and fuming...

So this morning I offer for your healing, Lord,
my snarl, my growl, my defenses on the prowl,
selfishly protecting my way of seeing things,
my way of doing whatever is at hand...

With your Spirit's power, Lord,
tame my temper
and temper my tendency
to make an angry rash response...

Let your Spirit be a gatekeeper
stationed at my lips,
keeping careful watch over
every word I speak...

With your Spirit's gentle patience,
take a hold of my heart's faults:
tame, heal, shape and mold me
as the person you created me to be...

And when others snap and snarl
give me an understanding heart
and remind me of how great's my need
for your mercy and your patience...

Accept my morning offering, Lord,
and give me peace to share today, tonight
and through the week ahead...

Amen.



 

   
 Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

  1. Perfect timing! This prayer is exactly what I need this morning . I planned an event this weekend that left me exhausted and pretty crabby. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!