8/8/14

Pause for Prayer: SATURDAY 8/9


Promises, promises, promises...

I'm pretty good at making promises
but often not so good at keeping them...

I make promises to God
and promises to others
and promises to myself
- and when I make them,
I really mean to keep them,
every one of them,
but way too often,
I don't...

I stall.
I put things off.
I "forget."
I tell myself, "I can't."
I just don't get around to it...

Sometimes, I promise much too much,
too soon,
too quickly...

And sometimes I make promises I can't keep
even if and when I try
- and then I get discouraged...
So, help me, Lord...
Help me with my promises today:
help me keep them simple,
help me keep them modest,
help me keep them doable
and, Lord - help me keep them!

I promise to spend some time in prayer today, Lord:
just you and me, in a quiet place,
where I'll share with you
what's in my heart and on my mind...

I promise to find a way to help someone today:
to lend a hand, give my time, listen closely,
offer comfort, pay a visit, send support,
help the poor, to shelter someone's pain...

And I promise to be honest with myself
about one bad habit, one undone task,
one unpaid debt, one unreturned favor,
one unanswered call and yes: one unkept promise...

Help me with my promises today, Lord:
help me keep them simple,
help me keep them modest,
help me keep them doable
and, Lord - help me keep them!


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!