1/18/15

Pause for Prayer: MMO 1/19

Art by George Mendoza

A song for today's Pause for Prayer:
"We Shall Overcome" by Mahalia Jackson

We Shall Overcome by Mahalia Jackson on Grooveshark

From the depths of your love, Lord,
   help me overcome my prejudice,
   my bias and my bigotry, 
   my narrow-minded thinking
   and rash judgments...

With the grace of your mercy, Lord,
   help me overcome my selfishness,
   my feelings of superiority,
   my jealousy and greed,
   my pride and self-importance...

With the power of your Spirit, Lord,
   help me overcome my laziness,
   my lustful thoughts and longings,
   my apathy and envy
   my ungoverned appetites
   and my careless disregard of others' needs...

With the justice of your word, Lord,
   help me overcome my tendency
   to stretch the truth, to cheat and lie,
   to take what isn't mine,
   to deny what's due to others...
  
With the power of your love, Lord,
   help me overcome my fears,
   my worries and anxieties,
   my doubts and my uncertainties,
   my lack of trust in you and in my neighbor...

With the strength of your arm, Lord, 
   help me overcome what keeps me down,
   what holds me back,
   what slows me up,
   what locks me in...

With all you have to offer, Lord,
   help me overcome what keeps me
   from your presence and from prayer,
   from your mercy and compassion,
   from your love, your peace and joy...

Amen.




     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!