11/26/15

A short homily for Thanksgiving

Image source


Because I believe:
   that God is with me 24/7/365…
Because I believe:
   that God watches with care every step I take…
   that God hears every prayer I offer…
   that God wants nothing for me
      apart from all that is good…
Because I believe:
   that God’s grace and mercy are inexhaustible…

And because I know:
   how lazy and foolish I can be…
   how inattentive and self-centered I can be…
   how often I fail to respond to God’s love,
            how often I sin…
And because I know
   there’s so much about God that I cannot know…

Because of all of this, I’m sure:
   that I often miss many of the gifts God gives me…
   that I leave many of God’s gifts undiscovered, unopened…
And I'm sure
   that God often gives me what I need
      just not packaged as I had expected or hoped
      and so I fail to find it…
And I'm also sure
   that I often don’t know what I really need
      so I fail to recognize it when it comes…

I believe that besides everything I’m grateful for
   on this Thanksgiving morning,
there are countless other gifts and blessings from God
   that have totally escaped my attention
because I've been distracted or inattentive
            or lazy or ungrateful or self-absorbed
            or impatient or foolish or selfish…

And perhaps the same is true for all of us.
            in fact, I believe the same is true for all of us.

So this Thanksgiving morning,
   let’s thank God not only for all the gifts and blessings
            we're aware of and grateful for
but also for all the blessings and gifts
            we've missed and failed to find and open…

And let’s pray that we learn to look, to search -- every day --
   with prayerful hope and expectation,
      for the many gifts God so generously gives us: 24/7/365…

And especially let us open our hearts this morning
            in grateful praise and thanks
for the greatest gift God has ever given us:
      the gift of Jesus, our Lord and Brother,
given to us in his Body and Blood, 
      in the Bread and Cup of the Eucharist
            we celebrate at the altar this morning.

-->



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!