11/9/15

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 11/10




Thoughts of Thanksgiving and Christmas often occasion a sadness born of the loss of those we love.  November then, the Month of All Souls, comes at a perfect time, inviting us to remember and to pray for those who've gone before us.  Henry Van Dyke's poem provides a beautiful image of our letting go into the hands of God the family and friends we miss at this time of year...
Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”
“Gone where?”
Gone from my sight. That is all.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says:
“There, she is gone!”
there are other eyes watching her coming,
and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:
“Here she comes!”

And that is dying.



Whose ship has sailed beyond your sight?  
Who, with the Lord, stands on the other side,
   ready to welcome those who've left you?

Lord, when I remember those who are gone,
help me trust and pray 
they've sailed the oceans of your mercy,
to be welcomed in the harbor 
of your everlasting peace...




   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!