7/10/16

Monday Morning Offering: 7/11


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

There's a lot of things I need to get done,
well, that I'd like to get done,
that I should get done
at just that time of year
when I wish things would slow down...

You know what I mean, Lord:
loose ends needing to be neatly tied;
unfinished tasks begging for completion;
stacks of papers praying for blessed order;
correspondents waiting for correspondence...

And more than all that, Lord,
there's my unfinished business with you:
prayers half-prayed, needing an Amen;
prayers not even half-begun;
prayers sent up from half a heart
when all my heart is always what you ask...

There's not a moment, Lord,
of any day or night
when you haven't time for me;
not a moment when you wouldn't put aside
whatever you're doing to be at my side
with all the time in the world
just to listen to me
and speak to me
a word from heart to heart,
from your heart right to mine...

Why am I so often so busy,
too busy to spend some time with you?

In these finally-summer days, Lord,
slow me down
and give me time for nothing to do
but be with you and know again
that you're with me...

Help me put the brakes on
my merry-go-round-go-nowhere pace...
Slow me down, stop me in my tracks,
hold me still
- and hold me...

Let a doldrum summer lull, calm and call me
to a place of peace, of prayer,
of meeting you again --
like bumping into an old friend,
on the streets of my vacation...

Find and meet me, Lord,
in the summer days ahead...

Good God of Monday mornings,
hear my prayer this day
and every day this summer...

Amen.





   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!