10/2/16

Monday Morning Offering: 10/3

Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

How amazing the human heart, Lord!
It doesn't take up too much room
but oh, what it can hold!

My heart keeps the breadth and depth
of all the love I've known,
 all the love I've shared
- and, sadly, memories
of all the harm I've done...

My heart holds the gift of faith,
the grace that makes me one with you
and makes for you a home
within my soul...

My heart knows the stories of my life,
the ones I know so well 
and the ones I'd rather forget...

My heart holds the stories others share with me,
carried in safe-keeping, easing others' burdens,
lifting up what weighs them down:
what's heavy on my neighbor's heart
rests lighter on my own...

My heart stores secrets told in trust
and with confidence 
 that I will reverence what's been shared
and gently hold and guard the whispered words
entrusted to my care...

My heart fills up with others' sorrows and their tears,
their fears, their worries and concerns:
my heart welcomes in the troubles
others bring and leave at my soul's door...

My heart floods with rivers wept 
by those whose pain has crested, 
overflowing banks of hurt and loss,
pouring forth the truth as tears freely spill
without a trace of fear or shame...

And my heart swells in making room for joy,
the joy that others share and bring me:
the visit of such blessings echo in my soul, 
 ringing out your grace
and anointing me with peace...

If my small heart holds all of this,
then what must your heart carry
in its many chambers, all the rooms 
you've readied for our hearts 
to find a home in you...

If my heart holds such treasures, Lord,
I can’t imagine all the mercy and the love
that waits for us within your sacred heart,
expanding in eternity to be the home
for every restless soul...

I offer you this morning, Lord,
all those who have a place within my heart
and those who make a place for me in theirs
that we might all be one in you,
in the very heart of love...

Amen.






     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!