12/11/16

Monday Morning Offering 12/12

Image: George Mendoza
Good morning, good God!

I pray this day, Lord,
that you take from my heart
whatever might keep me
from welcoming you with joy
this Christmas...

Would you do that, Lord?
Will you do that for me?
Might we work together on this?
That's my hope and prayer, so let me offer
for your healing and your reconciliation
those things I think might keep me
from receiving you with joy
this Christmas...

My selfishness hinders me, Lord,
in this season of giving,
so I offer it to you for healing…

I offer you my impulse
to keep things for myself
when, already, I have much more than I need...

I offer you the urge, the impulse,
to buy and buy some more,
and have and still want more
while others, millions others
have so little or have nothing...

I offer you resources I hoard
while others have nothing for a rainy day…

Free me to see the needs of others
as more important than my own
and help me welcome you with joy
at Christmas...

My grudges and resentments hinder me, Lord,
so I offer them to you for healing…

I offer you the heavy backpack
of stale arguments, old disagreements and tired arrogance
that weighs me down and keeps me
from running to greet you, to meet you
at the stable in Bethlehem …

Help me let go any ill will I cling to, Lord,
and lift from my shoulders the weight of my pride
that I might welcome you with joy
this Christmas...

Some fantasies and daydreams, Lord,
keep me from receiving you with joy
and with a pure, unsullied heart...

So I offer you my troublesome desires:
tame them, heal them, shape them, mold them,
use them for your glory
that I might welcome you with joy
and with a clean heart
at Christmas...

Some of my circumstances might hinder me, Lord,
from receiving you with joy
this Christmas...

I might worry about keeping my job,
finding a job, needing a second job;
my limbs might be weak, my fingers grown feeble,
my heart beat too fast, my movement slow,
my credit's maxed out, some bills are due,
the car needs work,
my family’s in trouble,
my will power’s failing,
my commitments wavering
and, well, Lord - fill in the blank ______________...

So I offer you this morning
the unsure, broken pieces of my day-to-day…

I offer you my latest efforts to make things better
and my failed efforts of the past...

I offer you the empty feeling
that I have nothing left to offer…

Be with me in my difficulties, Lord,
and help me trust and know you’re there…

Help me know what I can and cannot do:
give me the wisdom to know the difference
and the courage to do what I can…

Help me to lean on others for support
and to understand their strength
as your gift to me through their hands...

Give me peace of mind and heart, Lord,
that I might welcome you with joy
this Christmas…

I offer you, O Lord,
all the hope and faith and trust I have
especially on those days
when that's all in short supply...

But what I have I offer, Lord,
and pray you make of that,
by your holy power and grace,
all I need
to welcome you
with joy
this Christmas day...

Amen.



   

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!