3/26/17

Monday Morning Offering: 3/27


Good morning, good God!

So, Lent’s half over, Lord,
and Easter's only three weeks away...

I should be at least half-prepared,
half-ready to celebrate Easter
- but I’m not!

Back on Ash Wednesday I was doing OK,
right up 'til, oh,
maybe the First Sunday of Lent.
(I know, Lord, 
that was only 4 days!)

So, I offer you my sketchy record here
and ask you to forgive
my unkept Lenten pledges…

I acknowledge my lack of self-discipline
and how I excuse myself so easily...

So many promises, Lord,
made with firm intentions
but too often a real FAIL in follow-through…

I confess my laziness,
hoping you'll forgive me,
and accept my renewed pledge
to pray more often,
to sacrifice some things I crave
and to reach out to the poor…

And this time,
help me depend and lean on you
and not try to do this all on my own…

Be with me, Lord,
and be my strength in every temptation,
especially when I'm tempted
to give up on Lent,
on you
or on me...

• When I put off prayer,
draw me to a quiet place
and sit me down to be with you,
to speak with you,
to rest in your presence…

• When I’m tempted to indulge myself
on what I’ve given up for Lent
(or on anything else, for that matter!)
remind me of my pledge and the reason for it:
to empty out my fullness and to learn from hunger
for what truly feeds my mind and heart...

• When I spend first on myself
and consume more than my share,
more than I need:
show me how much I already have
(and where and how I have too much)
and help me be more generous
with those who have little or nothing at all…

And if I’ve failed from the very beginning
to pray and fast and sacrifice,
let today be my “Ash Sunday,”
"day one" of Lent for me:
this is the day that you’ve made, Lord,
give me grace to begin again
and to grow in grace...

Lord, I offer you my renewed Lenten pledge:
strengthen my resolve,
deepen my commitment
and keep me faithful to you
as I prepare for Easter
and the peace you offer me...

Amen.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!