3/30/18

The Heart of Jesus on Good Friday

Sacred Heart of Jesus by Dali

Of all the images of Jesus' heart, Salvador Dali's is my favorite.  

Its in-your-face divine strength contrasts with its fleshy humanity: Jesus' love offered here as a rose on the stem of the Cross...

Dali's Sacred Heart portrays so clearly, so frankly the beauty and strength, the intensity and raw humanity of Christ's divine heart. 

This isn't the passive Jesus of so much religious art but rather a powerful Lord of selfless love, his heart crucified for us.

Here is a Christ we can imagine fishermen leaving their boats and nets to follow. Here is a Christ strong enough to carry any burdens we lay on his shoulders. Here is a Christ with a heart robust enough to pump the life of its Spirit through the universe.  Here is a Christ with a heart tender enough to welcome any and all who seek refuge within it.  Here is a Christ with a heart unafraid to expose itself in love and mercy.  Here is a Christ with a heart ready to give itself away from unfathomable depths.  Here is a Christ with a heart great enough to be the very heart of God, the heart of God's Word made flesh, the heart of Christ who laid down his life for us.   

The heart of Christ is mercy for my soul..

The heart of Christ forgives my foolish sins...

The heart of Christ pardons
my crimes against others' hearts...

The heart of Christ, sentenced to the Cross,
is my parole, my freedom, my own sentenced served...

Help me know and confess my need 
for your heart's mercy, Lord...

Open my heart to all that your heart offers me...

As you have forgiven me, 
help me forgive those whose words and deeds
have wounded me...

Help me forgive those who've hurt me the most:
open my heart to welcome them back...

Help me forgive those 
who haven't said they're sorry,
who haven't acknowledged the harm they've done...

Help me forgive the hard-to-forgive, Lord:
remind me of how freely, how fully you forgive me,
regardless of how I've offended you...

And when others forgive me, Lord, 
help me graciously accept the pardon they offer...

Draw me into your heart of hearts
where the gift of your mercy springs forth,
a fountain of pardon and peace...

Lord, open my eyes to your heart's beauty,
opened for me on the Cross,
that I might have life
and have it to the full...




   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!