7/3/18

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 7/3

Image source

I remember, Lord, when I was a child,
collecting fireflies in a mayonnaise jar,
holes punched in the screw-top lid for air
and some blades of grass inside -
the fireflies, I thought,
might lunch upon such greens...

What joy to capture nature's glow
and hold it in my hands and
(far too young to understand
the mating dance of fireflies)
to wonder at those flickering lights
and what purpose they might serve...

Out for a walk this afternoon
I thought of mayonnaise jars -
but not for catching lightning bugs:
today I would have bottled up sweet fragrances,
wafting on the heat of summer breezes
from gardens by my path...

And if I were to bottle those scents, oh
to digitize and email them
to family and friends for sharing in my walk,
for sharing in the sweetness of your presence,
earth's perfume seducing me, anointing me,
marking me as yours: claimed by love finer,
even finer than this glorious day,
early in July...

Amen.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!