2/6/19

Pause for Prayer: WEDNESDAY 2/6

Image source



In preparation for moving a few days ago I did several weeks of cleaning and purging and came across a couple things I'd forgotten, including something I wrote about 13 years ago.  I'd been visiting a man who was dying and he had shared with me several times his desire to deepen his prayer life and his difficulties in doing so.  We talked about what he wanted to be able to pray and I tried to help him see that his desire to pray these thoughts was, itself, his prayer.  To help him understand this, I gathered together some of what he had shared with me and put it into a prayer which I shared with him the next time I visited.  He recognized his own prayerful thoughts in what I'd written and a new door to his relationship with the Lord was opened.  Here's that prayer...

Dear Lord,
   be my shepherd and guide me day to day...

Be my light in the darkness
   and help me trust in your love...

Remind me that I have received
   the gift of your mercy and pardon...

Deepen my faith
   when I'm anxious or confused...

When I'm weak, give me strength,
   when I'm afraid, give me courage,
       when I'm alone, be my companion...

Let no fear or worry come between me
   and your love...

I thank you for the gift
   of every day of my life
and for all the blessings you have showered on me
   over the years...

Keep my family and friends in the embrace of your love
   and give them peace in mind and heart...

Whether awake or asleep,
   I trust in your loving presence...

With the prayers of the Blessed Virgin
   and all the Saints to help me,
I commend my heart and soul you, O God...

Amen.



 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!