8/2/19

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 8/2


Lord,

There are lots of reasons to want to go on vacation:
to get away from work, to get away from it all,
to get away from the busyness, the fast pace,
the day- to-day same-old same-old...

I look forward to all of that on vacation
but I'd like some time away from other things, too,
and I wouldn't have to travel an inch
for a vacation like this...

I'd like a vacation from bad news, Lord,
especially reports of war and violence,
conflict and terrorism, scandal and abuse,
and the tragic news of innocents suffering...

I'd like a vacation from politics' vapid rhetoric
on all sides;
a vacation from the empty promises,
false hopes and downright lies -
on all sides, Lord...

I'd like a vacation from the minutia,
the details and crazy foolishness
that rob me of time for
thinking, musing, imagining,
reflecting, praying, resting and spending time
with the people I most love to spend time with...

I'd like a vacation from anything and everything
that keeps me from spending time with you, Lord,
from growing closer to you, learning more about you,
growing in your love and grace
and being more faithful to you...

I'd like a vacation from all the stuff that means so little
but nonetheless fills up my days and nights
with distractions, worries and fears...

I'd like a vacation from my own self-importance,
my self-pity, my self-indulgence,
my selfishness,  my self-interest
and my self-deception...

I'd like a vacation, Lord, where I might let go
what burdens and shackles me
what confuses and stymies me,
what obstructs and foils me...

I'd like to vacation with you as companion,
your word as my guide book,
your wisdom my map
and your love my refreshment along the way...

I don't have to go far, Lord,
to vacation like this
so help me make the time
and find a place,
even right where I am,
to vacation with you this summer,
in a place where your peace
is both sunshine and shade...

Amen.





     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!