12/4/19

Virtual Retreat: Day 4

Image source

Folks who've never been on a retreat might imagine that is involves praying most of the day.  Not so!

Yesterday, I did spend some time in prayer but for the better part of the day I guess you could say I was just hanging out with Jesus.  What does that mean?  What does that look like?

I think of when I go out to Colorado to visit with my sister and brother-in-law.  While staying with them we spend a lot of time together: in conversation, watching TV, sharing meals, sitting together reading (books, newspapers, screens) or going out shopping,  Such visits will often find my sister and me sitting together in the living room, she working her knitting needles and I on my lap writing a post for my blog.  So there are times of active engagement and time of just hanging out together - and both are important.  In fact, after I leave and get back home I miss both kinds of being together.

Being on retreat with the Lord is the same.  Some time is spent in prayer (conversation) and some time is spent just hanging out together.  Just knowing that I'm in his company and that he's in mind is as important part of my retreat as those times dedicated to prayer.

So, yesterday was short on actual prayer time but long on time of just relaxing in and enjoying the presence of Jesus here on the Gloucester shore, here in my heart, here by my side.

This, then, is what I offer you on Day 4 of this virtual retreat:  spend some time just hanging out with Jesus!  Have a cup of coffee in his presence before you start the day...  If you can, take a break in the course of the day and find a place where you can be quiet and alone - except for the presence of Jesus. If your tree is up or your nativity set is out, spend some quiet time at day's end near these seasonal reminders and ask Jesus just to sit with you.

At any of these times you might find that yu want to pray - but you don't have to. You just need to show up, say hello to the Lord, and sit back and enjoy his company.  One thing you can be sure of: he enjoys your company - a lot!l  One of my favorite ways to hang out with Jesus is to go for a walk with him by my side.  Just knowing I have the Lord for a walking partner is a great gift and grace in itself: try it and enjoy it.  It's a great way to get to know the Lord and to get to know him better... (And Georgetown,  CO is a great place to go for a walk with Jesus - I miss my loops around Georgetown Lake with Jesus when I get back to Massachusetts! Nothing like the Rockies as a backdrop for hanging out with the Lord!)

Don't dismiss this idea until you've tried it - and give it a couple times so that you have a chance to get past any initial awkwardness with this.  If you know how to simply hang out with a friend, a spouse, a family member - then you have everything you need to hang out with Jesus - just as long as you make the time, find a place - and show up!  He'll be waiting for you because he really wants to spend some time just hanging out with you...




 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!