4/7/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 4/7


It might seem like day's end is near,
that it's time to get ready for bed,
for rest and for sleep...
But for so many people, Lord, the day won't end:
it will stretch through the dark of night
as folks wrestle with anxiety
- and one thing's for sure: worry and fear
don't make for good bunkmates!

We're anxious about the virus,
we're anxious about sickness and death,
we're anxious about who's going to die,
we're anxious for our loved ones,
   especially our youth and our elders,
we're anxious for neighbors
   and for strangers 'round the world we've never met,
we're anxious for first responders and health care workers,
we're anxious about our jobs and our educations,
we're anxious for the world's economy,
   and for our own bank accounts
and we're anxious about when everything
-or anything-
will be normal again...

And we're anxious about being too anxious...

Sometimes I wonder if there's caffeine in anxiety:
they both have the same effect on our sleep!
Pope John XXIII used to pray before he went to bed:
I've done my best in serving you today, Lord. 
Now I'm going to bed. 
It's your world - take care of it!
Please, help us, Lord!

First...
help us do the best we can in serving you each day,
especially in these days when needs are so great
and when compassion, understanding, gentleness and mercy
are so much in need... 

Second... 
help us change the things we can 
   and accept the things we can't
and give us wisdom to know the difference...

AND

help us put our fears and worries in your hands, 
trusting that you will change what we can't change,
that you'll be with us in good times and in bad,
that you'll be our guide when we lose our way,
that you'll be our strength when we're tired and weak,
and that in the end, all shall be well
and if all's not yet well,
it's not the end...

Take from our hearts all painful anxiety,
Lord, fill our hearts with your peace...


Help us do our best in serving you, Lord
and then give us good rest and sweet dreams
to rise tomorrow, sure in faith,
that all through the night you cared for the world
while we slept in the arms of your peace...
  Amen.

Take From My Heart by Karen Schneider Kirner and John T. Kyler
sung by the Notre Dame Folk Choir


Take from my heart, take from my heart,
take from my heart all painful anxiety.
Lord fill my heart, Lord fill my heart,
Lord fill my heart with your peace.

Lord I am yours for time and eternity,
Lord let me learn to trust in your providence.
Lord I am yours forever!

Lord I delight in your unending hope,
in your compassion and tender mercy.
Lord I am yours forever!

Lord you lead me in my darkest days
When I am weak you carry my heavy cross.
Lord I am yours forever!

Lord, fill my heart with joy as I rest in you,
Help me to serve you faithful to your word.
Lord I am yours forever!

Lord keep me steadfast, trusting in your design,
through perseverance lead me in life to you.
Lord I am yours forever!



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!