5/17/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 5/17



A number of readers have asked for a copy of the prayer from my homily this morning so I'm offering it here as part of today's Night Prayer.

Today wasn't a perfect day, Lord,
and my part in it wasn't perfect either
but I trust you're the strength I need in my weakness,
the hope I need in my doubt,
to pass through this night's darkness
to the light and promise of tomorrow...

Be my hope, Lord Jesus,
be my hope...
Jesus, be my hope for light
   when I'm totally in the dark...

Jesus, be my hope for serenity
   in the midst of my distress...

Jesus, be my hope for tomorrow
   when I'm locked in my past...

Jesus, be my hope for healing
   in body, mind and soul...

Jesus, be my hope for joy
   when sadness consumes me...

Jesus, be my hope for understanding
   when I'm lost in confusion...

Jesus, be my hope for grace
   when I'm tempted to sin...

Jesus, be my hope for pardon
   when I have sinned...

Jesus, be my hope for wisdom
   when I’m lost in foolishness...

Jesus, be my hope for help
   when I fear there is none...

Jesus, be my hope in faith
   when I'm lost in doubt...

Jesus, be my hope for love
   when I'm most alone...

Jesus, be my hope for hope
   when all my hope is gone...

Jesus be my WAY!
Jesus be my TRUTH!
Jesus be my LIFE!
Jesus be my HOPE!
Lord Jesus, hear my prayer!
Protect me, Jesus, as I lie awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.  

Stuart Townend's lyrics capture what I preached this morning, that Christian hope is less about tomorrow and more about our experience in the present moment: hope is the strength in our doubt and fear that enables our emerging into the light, or as Townend wrote:
There is a hope that lifts my weary head,  
A consolation strong against despair, 
That when the world has plunged me in its deepest pit,
I find the Savior there! 
Through present sufferings, future's fear, 
He whispers, "Courage!" in my ear...


 

 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!