5/5/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 5/5



What a strange world we live in these days, Lord!
You gave us hands and fingers
but we need to be so careful just now
about everything we touch or bump into...

You gave us arms
but we need to keep them by our sides,
we can't reach out and embrace,
no hugging...

You gave us lips
but we cannot kiss,
not even a peck on the cheek! 

You gave us breath
but we need to cover our faces,
being careful not to breathe on others
nor let their breath come too close...

No matter which way I turn, Lord,
I need to be careful lest I touch something 
beside me, before me, behind me, above or below me
that might bring me harm...

But you, Lord, YOU are
beside me, before me, behind me, above and below me
and you are blessing, not bane,
healing, not harm,
vital, not viral,
medicine, not menace,
cure, not curse,
balm, not burn,
you are life, not death:
and you are beside me, before me,
behind me, above and below me...

So, even in my sleep, Lord:
surround me with your angels,
touch me with your kindness, 
embrace me in your love
and kiss me with your Spirit's grace
to hold and heal me through the night
until I wake tomorrow
where I will find you once again
beside me, before me,
behind me, above and below me:
my shield, my strength and my God...

Amen. 



The Lorica of Saint Patrick: The Cambridge Singers
 


Christ be with me
Christ within me
Christ behind me
Christ before me
Christ beside me
Christ to win me
Christ to comfort and restore me
Christ above me
Christ beneath me
Christ in quiet
Christ in danger
Christ in hearts of all that love me
Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!