6/11/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 6/12


Tomorrow, Lord,
I'm meeting a friend for a social-distanced walk,
someone I haven't seen or talked to,
- or Zoomed with -
for more than three months!

But I've been feeling a little guilty 
'bout the joy this prospect brings me
while the burdens of so many
have my mind's and heart's attention,
the burdens of so many 
who have little cause for joy...

Even on warm and sunny days, Lord,
my thoughts and prayers cloud over
with Corona fear and worry,
shadowed by fronts, pressured high and low,
threatening to collide and storm across the country
- and right through all our souls...

So, something as simple as a walk with a friend
makes me wonder if I've a right 
to something so good, so potentially joyful
in these days when so much is denied,
beyond our reach, outside our grasp...

But I'm trusting, Lord, that the gift of such a moment,
even the anticipation of it happening, 
is grace from you, freely given,
to sustain and strengthen me 
for the work of strengthening others;
opening the joy of simple pleasures
to those in my cyber circle, 
nearby and far away...

Grant us, all, Lord, moments of simple pleasures
and the grace to anticipate them
with open, happy hearts...

Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us when we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 


Psalm 23 by Stuart Townend
 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!