6/18/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 6/18


They're forecasting a hot and humid weekend, Lord,
and I'm grateful for this
not so much because I favor humidity (I don't)
but simply because hot and humid days in June
are part of summer, are to be expected
and remind me of so many summers past
and of what I'm missing this time 'round...

On a walk last night I passed a home
where folks were outdoors grilling:
there came the unmistakable aroma of hot dogs
wafting from a Weber to the sidewalk,
triggering sensory memories of all things savory,
and transporting me to* Devereux Beach in Marblehead,
a cabin porch in Kingston, a picnic bench on 128,
and a table out behind my home at 2 Weeks Road in Danvers...

All a part of summer, Lord,
all to be expected on a hot and humid evening
in the second half of June,
reminding me of summers past,
sweet memories of summers gone
and of all I'm missing this time 'round...

Hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill,
fireflies sparking in the darkness,
bike rides to the library and
the fire house horn, sounding curfew at 9 pm:
all a part of summer, Lord, at least so in my memories,
sweet memories of summers gone
and of all I'm missing this time 'round...

As the song goes, Lord:
"Thanks for the memories..."
They're sweet and rich, dear to my heart,
especially as the sun goes down
on a hot and humid day...

Refresh our hearts with memories, Lord,
souvenirs of simpler times, happy times, carefree times
and so refresh our souls with memories of summers past
and of all we're missing this time 'round...

Protect us, Lord, as we stay awake
and watch over us as we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace,
holding close sweet memories
of the summers filled with simple joys...

Amen.

*places from my childhood... what were yours?

Every Season by Nicole Nordeman

   

Every evening sky, an invitation
To trace the patterned stars
And early in July, a celebration
For freedom that is ours
And I notice You
In children’s games
In those who watch them from the shade
Every drop of sun is full of fun and wonder
You are summer...

And even when the trees have just surrendered
To the harvest time
Forfeiting their leaves in late September
And sending us inside
Still I notice You when change begins
And I am braced for colder winds
I will offer thanks for what has been and what's to come
You are autumn...

And everything in time and under heaven
Finally falls asleep
Wrapped in blankets white, all creation
Shivers underneath
And still I notice you
When branches crack
And in my breath on frosted glass
Even now in death, You open doors for life to enter
You are winter...

And everything that’s new has bravely surfaced
Teaching us to breathe
What was frozen through is newly purposed
Turning all things green
So it is with You
And how You make me new
With every season’s change
And so it will be
As You are re-creating me
Summer, autumn, winter, spring...



  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!