7/14/20

Pause for Prayer: TUESDAY 7/14


I didn't think anyone loved a pandemic, Lord 
   - but now I realize I was wrong!

I can see how all my pesky personal demons 
   are having a regular field day with me
while I'm locked down and socially distanced
   from my usual sources of strength and support...

WORRY is teasing and tickling my fear
      of the virus, contagion, sickness and death..

LAZY yawns and whispers so sweetly,
      "Put it off 'til tomorrow - it can certainly wait..."

VANITY offers a hundred excuses
      to care for myself, to tend my own needs...

LUSTY feeds my delusions and daydreams
      and turns my attention from where it belongs...

 HABIT knows all the right buttons to push
      to jump-start addictive behaviors and ways...

ENVY blinds me to blessings and gifts
      to make me jealous of what others may have... 

MISERY tempts me to isolate, Lord,
      to run and to hide from family and friends...

FOLLY distracts my heart and my soul
      from all that is prayerful and leads me to you...

So, I need help!
I need your power and strength, Lord...

On my own I'm weak, I'm an easy mark,
but with you at my side I've got game, Lord:
my demons no match for what's in store
when they meet you and me as a team...

Here's what I pray for, here's what I need, Lord:
   an abundance of trust for the times I worry
   some get-up-and-go when I'm stuck on the couch
   a selfless desire for helping others
   a clean spirit in thought, word and deed
   a strong will in the face of temptation
   a humble acceptance of life on life's terms
   a heart wide open to others' love
   and a prayerful path that leads me to you...

And help me remember, Lord,
that nothing's going to happen today
that you and I, together, can't handle... 

Amen.


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!