8/28/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 8/28



They say "time marches on," Lord,
- and it certainly does!

The passage of time is inexorable:
time tires us - but nothing tires time...

The march of time is unrelenting, unyielding, 
unstoppable and implacable so, why, Lord, 
why am I taken by surprise and incredulous
that August is almost history,
the summer's winding down
and fall's around the corner,
the Halloween candy's in the stores...

(I suppose if I didn't find it so hard to believe
that I'm 73* years old,
I'd find it easier to accept the fading days
of this eighth month of 2020...)

Every year, Lord, and every month,
every week and every day, 
every hour and every moment,
every minute and every second 
brings me that much closer 
to the timeless, 
to my forever,
the eternal,
to you...

The grace in all of this is simple, Lord:
you are in every moment,
you are in every hour, week and day,
you have walked with me 
through all of my 73 years
and have never, 
not for a nanosecond,
left my side...

So, time marches on, Lord,
and sometimes I keep up
and sometimes I fall behind
and sometimes I just sit down 
in the middle of the road
- but even then, time keeps its pace:
and eternal tide,
sweeping me from life's shores
out into the endless ocean
of the mystery of your love,
your eternal love for each of us,
the mystery of your never ending, 
timeless love...

All time is yours, Lord,
all seasons and ages belong to you:
in your kindness you let us borrow time
until you call us to the timeless,
until you call us home to you,
all in your good time...

Stay with us, Lord, as this day ends
and tomorrow waits its turn:
protect as we lie awake 
and watch over us as we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...     

Amen. 

*Insert your own age here - any age works!

 In His Time by Maranatha Singers




  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!