10/4/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 10/4


A tree just across the street tells my story, Lord:
    one foot in summer, one in the fall!
 
I'm savoring two seasons,
    holding on to the green, admiring the gold, 
and wondering,
    must one die for the other to live?
 
Photo by CP

As it is with the seasons, so it is within me;
    as it is within me, so it is within all:
one must die if one hopes to survive,
    one must die if one hopes to live...
 
Is this why changing seasons
    so tease and trouble my heart?
Is this why letting go summer 
    is my annual test of faith?

It is in giving that we receive,
    in pardoning that we're forgiven,
in dying that we're born
    to life eternal...
 
And as gracious as this day has been
    it too must die
if there's to be another,
    if tomorrow hopes to dawn...

And so the sun is setting, Lord,
    in the west and in my heart:
make me grateful for the days now gone
    and hopeful for the one to come...
 
Change the seasons as you will, Lord,
    tease my heart with what's unknown:
may the mystery of the summer yield
    to autumn's pledge of peace...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Every Season by Nicole Nordeman
 

 
 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!