11/5/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 11/5


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
As I write this prayer, Lord,
we're all still waiting for ballots to be counted,
more numbers to be crunched 
and final results to be announced... 
 
We're waiting, Lord, with varying degrees of patience
and I think most, if not all of us,
need more patience than we presently possess...

We need patience to help us through this waiting time
and patience in accepting whatever decisions
the election returns reveal...
 
We need patience with ourselves and patience with others, 
especially those with whom we disagree...
 
Those who win will need to be patient with those who lost
and those who lose will need to be patient with those who won:
only mutual patience will move us beyond 
the animosity of ourstubborn, stiff-necked stalemate...
 
And Lord, help us to be patient with you
and your mysterious, inscrutable ways:
we don't understand  
    - why you permit what you seem to permit,
    - why silence seems so often
        your answer to our prayer,
    - why your coming is delayed
        when we're so much in need...

Finally, Lord,
as you give us patience with the waiting
make us impatient with
    - ourselves,
    - our silence
    - our permitting what should not be allowed
    - our delay in reaching out to those in need...

Be patient with us, your people, Lord
and make us patient with one another
that out of chaos might come order,
out of foolishness, wisdom
and out of discord, peace...
 
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us when we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

 
(Our "prayer while waiting" put me in mind of our spiritual waiting for Jesus in December. So, our song tonight, is a psalm we sing in Advent...
 
 Psalm 25 by Marty Haugen


To you, O Lord, I lift my soul, to you, I lift my soul. 
 
Lord, make me know your ways, teach me your paths 
and keep me in the way of your truth, 
for you are God, my Savior.  
 
To you, O Lord, I lift my soul, to you, I lift my soul.  
 
For the Lord is good and righteous,  
revealing the way to those who seek God,  
gently leading the poor and the humble.  
 
To you, O Lord, I lift my soul, to you, I lift my soul. 
 
To the ones who seek you, Lord,  
who look to your word, who live your love,
you will always be near, you will show them your mercy.  
 
To you, O Lord, I lift my soul, to you, I lift my soul.
 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!