11/10/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 11/10

 
I'm blessed, Lord, and I know it:
almost as soon as my head hits the pillow - I fall asleep; 
my curse comes in the morning when again it's time
to lift my sleepy head and start the day...  
 
But many others struggle to get a good night's sleep...
 
Some, with worry-burdened hearts,
lie awake for hours, tired but teased by thoughts
that nudge away from sleep's peace 
a troubled mind in need of rest...
 
Some have the care of infants who cry from cribs 
their need for warmth and milk:
nature's alarm, clocking through the night,
waking those who give what no one else can offer...

Others care for those who can't care for themselves:
the weak, the sick in mind and body:
those who've lost track of night and day, of then and now;
whose years are long, whose days are short...

Some are haunted by memories, dreams and nightmares:
shades of yesterday or fear of tomorrow
stealing a good night's sleep
from those who most need rest...      

Some keep watch, at home and abroad:
defending us, standing in harm's way,
keeping vigil for our safety lest any power or terror
disturb the peace of night...

And some, for reasons known to them and you alone, Lord,
some weep the night away:
their tears a prayer, pleading for your hand to reach
and with your healing mercy touch and wipe each tear away,
with words of comfort promising a new day
and with it, hope and peace...

Grant good rest and sweet dreams 
to all your sons and daughters;
rock our troubled hearts to sleep 
in your strong and gentle arms...
 
Sing a lullaby of peace to those whose fears
keep them awake;
let the beating of your heart give us good faith
to trust that through the night you'll guard us
and keep us for a new day and its dawning...

Hear my prayer, Lord,
for those who long to be refreshed
'neath the blanket of night's darkness,
those who pray for you to close their eyes
and help them find the rest they so much need...

Send angels to guard us in your peace, Lord:
bid us lie down to find the gift of rest in you
and of sleep in your safekeeping...
 
Amen.
 

Sleep Chant by Karen Drucker
 
 

Sleep in peace.   Wake in joy.    Always know that I am loved.
I sleep in peace.  I wake in joy.  I always know that I am loved.
Today I live in gratitude.  Today I give my love.
And tonight when I lay my head to rest, I give thanks, I give thanks.
 
Sleep in peace.  Wake in joy.  Always know that I am safe.
Sleep in peace.  Wake in joy.  Always know that I am safe.
Each day I wake is a miracle.  Each day is a precious gift.
I count my blessings and feel such grace.  I give thanks. I give thanks.

I sleep in peace.  I wake in joy.  I always know that all is well.
I sleep in peace.  I wake in joy.  I always know that all is well.

I sleep in peace.  Wake in joy.  Always know that I am loved.
Sleep in peace.    Wake in joy.  Always know that I am loved.

Sleep in peace.  Wake in joy.  Always know that I am safe.
Sleep in peace.  Wake in joy.  I always know that I am safe.

I sleep in peace.  I wake in joy.  I always know that all is well.
I sleep in peace.  I wake in joy.  I always know that all is well.


 

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!