1/29/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 1/29

                         
                    Icy Moon: photo by Chuck Connell
 
You've heard me grouse about the weather, Lord,
and I hope you're more patient with me
than I am with the seasons...
 
January, February?
Not my favorite months on the calendar,
definitely down time -
but then you stop me in my tracks
with wintry grace and beauty:
the filigree of bare limbs etched against a sky,
backlit by the moon, full of midnight glory...
 
My friend's photo is a newfound psalm, Lord,
a silver-white epiphany inviting me
to find you at a time, in a season, in a way
I'd not expected...
 
Your beauty seduces by surprise, Lord,
and takes me when I'm vulnerable
and open to a chance, to any chance for hope
and the simple promise of something more
than the present moment offers...

Open me, Lord,
to all the ways you beckon me to find you
when and where I least expect you:
in the dark of night, in my enemy,
in hopelessness and in all, that for the moment,
I do not understand...
 
Shine and shimmer like an icy moon until,
through bare, wintry branches, I see you
and see that you've found me...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

(Tonight's music is instrumental, not the usual genre,
but perhaps like an icy moon it might beckon you...)
 
 


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!