2/26/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 2/26


REMINDER: Friday is a traditional day to meditate on the suffering and death of Jesus and the Fridays of Lent have a particular claim on our hearts in this regard.  In Lent, then, Friday's Night Prayer will bring us to the Cross of him who laid down his life that we might have life and have it to the full...  Last week we reflected on Jesus accepting his Cross, this week on Jesus carrying his Cross to Calvary...


It's one thing to accept one's cross, Lord,
it's another thing to carry it, day by day
along with all the other duties annd demands
of one's life...

You accepted your Cross, Jesus,
and you carried it on your back
from the praetorium to the hill of Calvary, 
outside the city gates...

You carried your Cross, 
you walked your Cross,
you worked your Cross as a tool,
the instrument of my redemption
and a rough-hewn tool it was, Lord:
   primitive, crude and cruel,
   coarsely abrading your innocent shoulder
   all on account of my sins,
   my failure to love as you have loved me...

Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner
and give me the courage, the strength and the will
to carry my cross, whatever it is,
to carry my cross and all my burdens
with a truly repentant, grateful heart
offered to you who carried your Cross
to lighten the load of my own...
 
Lord Jesus, have mercy on me!
Christ Jesus, have mercy on me!
Lord Jesus, Son of the living God,
have mercy on me a sinner...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
Lord, Have Mercy from Taize
 


Kyrie eleison 
   Lord, have mercy 

Christe eleison 
   Christ, have mercy
 
Kyrie eleison
   Lord, have mercy


  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!