2/24/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 2/24

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For someone who is, indeed,
    faster than a speeding bullet,
someone who's swifter
    than the speed of light,
someone who could, if you wanted, 
   make all things happen in a flash
-- you sure do take your time, Lord...
 
Or at least that's how it seems to me,
a time-bound creature 
who's often in a very big hurry
    to get from here to there,
    from winter to spring,
    from dream to reality;
trying to cut corners and find shortcuts 
    from work to leisure,
    from expectation to fulfillment, 
    from today to tomorrow,
hoping, wishing, praying to get
    from  sickness to health,
    from sadness to joy,
    from the storm to the rainbow...

But while all that's going on, Lord,
you take your own sweet time
while I pray, and I pray, and I pray
    that even just one time
        -- you'd hurry things a long...

After all these years 
you'd think I'd understand,
that at least by now
I would have accepted that for you:
    a day is like a thousand years
        and a thousand years are like a day,
    that you're not slow to keep your promise
         but rather that you're patient with us,
    not wanting anyone to perish
        and waiting for us all to come to repentance*
 
Put in my heart this Lent,  Lord,
the desire to move quickly from:
    from offense to repentance,
    from sin to grace,
    from my ways to yours...
 
Help me remember, Lord, 
    that my time isn't as your time
       and your time isn't as mine...
 
Help me remember and accept, Lord,
    that all shall be well, 
    that all shall be well,
    that all manner of things shall be well
        in your time, Lord, 
        in your good time...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
 
In His Time by Diane Ball


 
 
 
 
  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!