3/14/21

Monday Morning Offering: 3/15

Morning Coffee by George Mendoza


Good morning, good God!

Well, Lent is half over, Lord:
we’re three weeks away from Easter
and I should be more than half prepared
to celebrate your resurrection
- but I’m not...

I’m not sure I’m even 1/40th ready
for Easter Sunday!

Beginning with Ash Wednesday I was doing really well
- right up to the First Sunday of Lent -
and I know, Lord: that was only 4 days…

So, this morning, I offer you my halting record
and I pray you'll have some mercy on me…

I offer you my lack of self-discipline, Lord:
I excuse myself so easily!
Give me inner strength and stamina,
give me your strength, Lord...

I offer you my flimsy promises,
made with firm intentions, yes,
but failing in faithful follow-through.
Give me the grace of perseverance, Lord...

I offer you my mistakes, Lord,
hoping you'll forgive me
and accept my renewed pledge
to pray more often,
to go without some creature comforts
and to reach out to the poor.
Give me the gift of a new heart, Lord,
a new and steadfast spirit within me...

Such is my offering, Lord, and
it comes with one more request:
don't let me try to do this alone!

Be with me, Lord: before me, behind me,
above, below me and within me:
be with me, Lord,
and be my strength in temptation…

When I put off prayer, Lord,
draw me to a quiet place and sit me down
to be with you, to speak with you,
to get to know you better…

When I’m tempted to indulge myself
on what I’ve given up for Lent,
remind me of my pledge and the reason for it:
an opportunity to fill my soul
with the food and drink of your word and truth…

When I spend first on myself
and consume more than my share of goods,
show me how much I have,
that I have too much,
that I have more than I need
and teach me to be generous
with those who have little or nothing at all…

I offer you my renewed Lenten promises, Lord,
and I pray you'll strengthen my resolve,
deepen my commitment
and keep me faithful 
too preparing for the Easter feast…

One day at a time this Lent, Lord:
you and me, in the grace of your Holy Spirit,
one day at a time...

Amen.


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!