5/14/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 5/14

It's been so clear to me recently, Lord,
how precious, like jewels, 
are my good friends...

Of what inestimable value are those 
whose fidelity never fades but shines, always,
though miles or years may come between us...

How welcome a friend's honest word 
of love and support, 
of challenge and comfort,
of critique and encouragement...

How reassuring the loyalty
of those who forgive my shortcomings 
and who help me see the good I often miss or dismiss
in my soul, in my deeds, in my self...

How necessary the arms and hands of those
who lift me up, urge me on, share my load,
catch me when I fall, embrace my lonely heart
and touch me, gently, with healing
just where I'm wounded...

How timely the Spirit's grace 
as friends reach out to friends in ways
mysterious, holy and amazing
- though not surprising -
for in friendship's found
nothing more and nothing less
than the very love of God made flesh
in lives made one in sharing
what you've so freely given...
 
And of all these jewels, my friends
without a doubt, Lord, you're the brightest: 
my best friend whose everlasting light shines 
within my heart and in the love I share 
with those I call my friends,
whose friend I'm blessed to be...
 
It's been so clear to me recently, Lord,
how precious, like jewels, are my good friends:
for your love and theirs
and from deep within my heart of hearts,
I give you thanks and praise...
 
Protect me, Lord, as I lie awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you,
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 
 
(To night, a very simple song, with an  interlude during which
you might pray, by name, for your friends...)


Dear friends, dear friends 
Let me tell you how I feel 
You have given me such treasure 
I love you so 

;   

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!