7/4/21

A prayer for the Fourth of July

Image source

It's the Fourth of July weekend so let's take some time to recall Emma Lazarus' poem inscribed on the base of the Statue of Liberty, offering a haven, a refuge  for the burdened and battered.  In the video here, Irving Berlin provides a musical setting for Lazarus' poem...


Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Let's pray...

Lord, open wide my heart
   to welcome any and all
who've been turned aside
   or turned away
in my family, in my neighborhood
   where I work and 'round the world...

May the light of my words and deeds

   lift high a lamp of welcome
and my heart provide a home
   for the weary, heavy burdened...

Open my heart for others, Lord,
   as your heart opens wide for me...

Amen.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!