9/3/21

NIGHT PRAYER for Every Day


This Night Prayer offering began 16 months ago with the pandemic lockdown and is now a daily feature on my blog. At the outset, Night Prayer was specifically themed for the evening but has, over the months, become a more general prayer, always ending with a "nighttime" verse.  Today I'm offering a slightly revised version of the first Night Prayer which I'll also post on the sidebar for easy access on any evening.

Night and day you watch over me, Lord:
with your strong arm and your gentle touch
you hold me and care for me as your child,
your own, your beloved...

Make me grateful for the day I've had, Lord,
with all its ups and downs, its joys and sorrows,
and forgive the ways I may have failed
to be helpful, loving and honest... 

Help me fall asleep, Lord,
trusting I'll find you at the foot of my bed,
when dawn's light comes to wake me...

Bless my night with good rest, Lord,
and fill my dreams with peace...

Comfort those who are restless tonight,
worried and afraid for themselves
and for the ones they love and care for...

Stand guard with all who serve and protect us,
at home and abroad,
and especially those in harm's way this night...

Be with those who staff our hospitals,
our nursing homes and care facilities
and comfort the elderly, the sick and the dying,
all who are in their care...

And tonight, Lord, I pray especially for...
(Here, name the people and the intentions
    especially in your heart tonight)
 
As a mother tucks her child in bed at night, Lord,
tuck in all of us, around the world,
warm and snug 'neath a blanket of your love...

Give me good rest so I'll rise in the morning
refreshed and ready to live a new day 
by the truth of your word, in your peace and love...

Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us as we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

(If the music widget below doesn't appear, click here!)

Psalm 33: In the silent hours of night
 
 
In the silent hours of night bless the Lord.

O come bless the Lord, all you who serve the Lord,
who stand in the house of the Lord,
in the courts of the house of our God.

Lift up your hands to the holy place
and bless the Lord through the night.

May the Lord bless you from Zion,
he who made both heaven and earth.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. 
 
Amen.

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!