12/10/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 12/10


Today is the anniversary of the death of the great Trappist spiritual writer, Thomas Merton. The following is from his book, Entering the Silence. (Today's Night Prayer follows the image below.)
Good Shepherd,
    you have in me a wild and crazy sheep
       in love with thorns and brambles.
But please don’t get tired of looking for me!
I know you won’t.
You have found me.
All I have to do is stay found.
    Image source
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You know better than I, Lord,
the brambles where I ramble
and the thorns that scratch my soul
and wound the tender flesh 
your love once bared for me...
 
You know how often and how easily
I go astray, go my own way 
and end up lost, alone 
and longing just to hear your voice
calling me by name and finding me again
and again and again and again
- as you have found me now...
 
I know you won't give up on me
- I know you never have.
You've found me, Lord, 
and all I have to do now
- is stay found...

Protect me, Lord while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
This is not a hymn but it's definitely a song about being found
and I find it a blessing to listen to in light of Merton's prayer...
 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 

Have you ever felt like nobody was there?
Have you ever felt forgotten in the middle of nowhere?
Have you ever felt like you could disappear?
Like you could fall, and no one would hear?
 
Well, let that lonely feeling wash away
Maybe there's a reason to believe you'll be okay
'Cause when you don't feel strong enough to stand
You can reach, reach out your hand
 
And oh, someone will coming running
And I know, they'll take you home
 
Even when the dark comes crashing through
When you need a friend to carry you
And when you're broken on the ground
You will be found
 
So let the sun come streaming in
'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again
Lift your head and look around
You will be found...
 
There's a place where we don't have to feel unknown
And every time that you call out
You're a little less alone
If you only say the word
From across the silence your voice is heard
 
Oh, someone will come running
to take you home

Even when the dark comes crashing through
When you need a friend to carry you
When you're broken on the ground
You will be found
So let the sun come streaming in
'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again
If you only look around
You will be found 
(You will be found)...
 
Out of the shadows
The morning is breaking
And all is new, all is new
It's filling up the empty
And suddenly I see that
All is new, all is new
You are not alone 
(You are not alone)...

Even when the dark comes crashin' through
When you need someone to carry you
When you're broken on the ground
You will be found!
So when the sun comes streaming in
'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again
If you only look around
You will be found....

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!