1/10/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 1/10


It's the end of the day, Lord,
and we're seeking shelter:
    shelter from the worries, fears and hurts
        that haunt us night and day;
    shelter from the local storms 
        that cloud our prospects for tomorrow;
    shelter from our secret burdens 
        known to few or none
            but known so well to you
                in your wisdom, grace and care;
    shelter, Lord, from what diminishes
        our strength, our nerve, our drive;
    and shelter, Lord, from all that keeps us
        from your daily gentle touch upon our hearts...  

Shelter us, Lord, give us shelter:
    the way ahead is dark and difficult to see.
Shelter us, Lord, be our shepherd:
    all will be well if only you'll our shelter be...
         
Shelter us through the night, Lord: 
while we're awake and while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Tonight's song was written by Michael Joncas just at
the beginning of the pandemic.  This recording by Paul
Weisenburger is the simplest, finest and most prayerful 
rendition of this song that I've heard...

Shelter Me by Jan Michael Joncas,  

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!


 
Shepherd and sheep, my God and I:
to fresh green fields you led my steps in days gone by.
You gave me rest by quiet springs
and filled my soul with peace your loving presence brings.

O shelter me, O shelter me:
the way ahead is dark and difficult to see.
O shelter me, O shelter me:
all will be well if only you will shelter me.


Yet now I tread a diff’rent way;
death dogs my path with stealthy steps from day to day.
I cannot find your peaceful place
but dwell in dreary darkness, longing for your face.
 
I will look back in days to come
and realize your faithfulness has led me home.
Within your house I’ll find my peace,
trusting that in your mercy you have sheltered me.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!