1/16/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 1/16


On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we remember how, in the gospel reading, Jesus changed water into wine.  How might he want to change you and me?  (I wrote tonight's prayer 10 years ago and have used it in various forms since then, including tonight's version...)

Some things need changing in my life, Lord,
    and I wish those changes would happen over night
        (or as quickly as you changed the water into wine!)
but change comes slowly,
    perhaps because I'm so slow to change...
 
I know the things I want to change, Lord,
    the things I need to change;
show me what you want to change
    - all for my peace of mind and heart... 

Fine-tune me, Lord,
    lest the strings of my life sound flat
       (or even worse - sharp)
    in the hearts and ears of those who hear me...
 
Change me, Lord,
    from the inside out:

sync my thoughts and ideas
    with your words and with your wisdom...
 
Stretch me, Lord,
    to be the person you call me to be
and to be satisfied with nothing less
    than becoming who you made me to be...


Change me, Lord: empty and humble my heart
    for the sake of all whose paths cross mine:
      help me readily and generously serve those in need,
      help me encourage and cheer those who are down,
      help me console and comfort those who grieve,
      help me stand with those who are alone,
      and help me rejoice with those whose hearts are glad,

         even when my heart is heavy and burdened...
 
Help me see the changes I most need to make, Lord:
    help me know and accept the changes 
       your Spirit is working in my mind and heart...

Show me the things that I can change
   and give me the grace and courage to work on them...

Help me understand, Lord, 
    what I can't change on my own
and in your grace, shape, mold and change me
      according to your will and word...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
MMMMMMMM
 
Two songs about change tonight! 
 
If two widgets don't appear below, click here!

Take, O Take Me As I Am by John Bell
 


Take, O take me as I am,
Summon out what I shall be.
Set your seal upon my heart
and live in me...

Change My Heart, O God by Roby Duke



Change my heart, O God, make it ever true.
Change my heart, O God, may I be like you. 

You are the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me, this is what I pray. 

Change my heart, O God, make it ever true.
Change my heart, O God, may I be like you.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!