2/27/22

MONDAY MORNING OFFERING: 2/28

Image: George Mendoza
 
Good morning, good God!
 
Well, in 48 hours
it'll be Ash Wednesday...
 
I want,
actually I need, Lord,
for this to be a good Lent, a great Lent,
my best Lent ever! 

I need a new beginning, Lord,
a fresh start with you:
I need your help
    to turn my heart around,
    to head me in a new direction
    and to walk, always, by your side...

It's time for me to take a spiritual inventory:
    to count my sins
    and to number your countless mercies....

I want to know the refreshment
of truly being at peace with you, my God...

You offer me this time of grace, Lord,
a season my heart so dearly needs:
40 days 
    of your compassion, understanding and forgiveness...

As you know so well, Lord,
I've been here so many, many times before...

As do my New Year's resolutions,
my Lenten promises often fade away
- sometimes before Wednesday's ashes
are brushed from my brow...
 
So, I offer you my Lenten hope,
my Lenten pledge,
my Lenten plea for your help, your grace,
to keep me faithful this time 'round,
faithful to my prayer, fasting
and works of mercy...

Keep me modest in my promises
that this Lent I might, at last, be faithful
- even if only in a few small things...

And should I stumble and fail,
actually - when I stumble and fail, Lord,
I pray your Spirit will pick me up, dust me off,
and set me back on the path I pledged...

I offer you my ego, Lord,
and pray I take no pride in being faithful this
Lent:
    humble me with the power of your grace
        and sustain in me what I can't do alone:
    help me remember that without you help,
        I can do nothing...

I offer you the 40 days ahead, Lord,
and pray you help me live this season
just one day at a time...

Help me to pray, a day at a time...
Help me to sacrifice, a day at a time...
Help me to be generous, a day at a time...

Walk with me this
Lent, Lord,
and remind me each day
that this season is first my offering to you,
and then a grace for me
that my faith in you might grow...

Walk this Lenten path with me, Lord:
be with from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday...

I don't make this journey alone, Lord:
you and all my brothers and sisters
    near and far, around the corner
       and around the world
you all walk with me, beside me,
    behind me and before me,
we make this journey together, 
    one in faith... 

One day at a time, Lord:
you and me and your people,
in the grace of your Spirit,
one good day at a time
through these 40 days of Lent ..


Amen.

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!