5/31/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Tuesday 5/31


What a glorious day, Lord:
    bright sun in a clear sky,
    mild breezes, fresh spring air!
 
Just the way I'd love things to be
all the whole year 'round 
- but I know that in other places, 
the weather's not as kind
and in other hearts, even some close by, 
right beneath my sunny skies
    clouds of grief cast shadows over joy,
    waves of anger crash on tender souls,
    driving winds batter worried minds,
    and frost chills what warmth's left
        in memory's fading embers...
 
And so, my evening prayer, Lord...

I'm grateful for this wondrous day
as I pray for my suffering brothers and sisters
in Uvalde, Buffalo, Ukraine, Haiti, Yemen, the Sahel, Nigeria, 
Afghanistan, Lebanon, Sudan, Colombia and Myanmar...

I praise you for today's clear skies as I pray
    for the homeless living in shelters or on the street,
    for the hungry starving for food and thirsting for clean water,
    for the poor and unemployed struggling to survive another day,
    for the chronically and terminally ill whose pain never ends,
    and for those haunted by fear, anxiety and depression
        and for whom the weather never seems to clear...

I'm grateful for this day, Lord, 
    but keep me mindful, always,
        of those whose "weather" holds them captive;
strengthen and encourage me,
    in the sunshine and the warmth,
to respond, reach out and, as I'm able, to relieve 
    those waiting for the skies to finally clear
        and a day of healing peace to dawn...

Protect us, Lord while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
I couldn't find a "weather hymn" to pair with tonight's prayer
but The Summons seems to serve well - rain or shine...
 
The Summons by John Bell
   
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!