6/1/22

Three years ago, now...

Photo by CP
 
It was three years ago this week that I left Holy Family Parish after 25 years of ministry in Concord. As happy and peaceful as I am now in retirement at Good Shepherd Parish in Wayland, I certainly miss the people, the places and the ministry that were mine for a quarter century.  One of the places I miss is my beloved porch at the rectory in Monument Square.  Due to a long overdue and much needed restoration and repurposing of that building, my old porch no longer exists - but it lives in my heart and in these words which I wrote a few years back...
 
My porch, my seasonal refuge,
my staycation post, my treasured retreat 
my cappella al fresco is ready, Lord,
for summertime peace and prayer...

Kalanchoes line the window's ledge
across from my bright alstroemeria,
under a vase of hand painted blooms
arranged on my faux Van Gogh...

I breakfast here in the morning
and begin my day in prayer
but it's late just now, past midnight, 
and in the rain I hear your voice
in a language I don't know
but somehow understand...

Your rain, your word
tap-tap-tapping on the roof above,
tap-tap-tapping on my soul, 
tap-tapping a message, coded in love, 
assuring me that you, too, Lord,
find refuge in my fresh air den  
made holy by your presence,
this June, July and August 
and any bonus days you grant
when summer, too soon, ends...
 
My porch, my seasonal refuge,
my staycation post, my treasured retreat 
my cappella al fresco is ready, Lord:
    now ready me to meet you here
    for summertime peace and prayer... 

Amen.


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!