7/7/22

NIGHT PRAYER: 7/7


At mass this morning, I spoke of a recurring exchange
that characterized ancient Israel's relationship with God
and God's relationship with all of us. It goes like this:

    People meet God.
    God loves people.
    People screw up.
    God has mercy.
    People return to God.

That's it in a nutshell, Lord!
That's our story - and it repeats 
    over and over and over again!

And it works in the singular
as well as in the plural:

    I meet God.
    God loves me.
    I screw up.
    God has mercy.
    I return to God.

Over and over and over again...
But I'd like to think, Lord,
indeed, I hope and pray 
that all this is so much more
than just a merry-go-round of grace...
 
I hope each time I meet you
    I've grown at least a little
        in wisdom and in truth...

That every time I find your love
    I know it in a deeper way
        and treasure it more dearly...

That even though I still screw up,
    you see some progress in the ways
        I try to walk your path..
 
That my heart is ever grateful,
    for how freely you forgive me,
        how generous is your mercy...

That each time I come back to you,
    I come with more resolve
        to be faithful to your everlasting love... 

    People meet God.
    God loves people.
    People screw up.
    God has mercy.
    People return to God
    whose arms are always open...

Protect us, Lord while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Come Back to Me by Gregory Norbet
 
If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!