7/28/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 7/28

Someone asked,
    Does God who forgives sins 
        forget my sins once they're forgiven?
 
It's a good question! 
 
I know you forgive, Lord, 
and I also know you're omniscient,
that you know all things,
and if you know all things
then there's nothing you might have forgotten...

But unlike me, Lord,
    you keep no record of the wrongs I've done,
    you hold no grudges on account of my failings,
    you bear no resentments for my repeated offenses,
    you do not count my sins against me,
    my halfhearted efforts neither hedge nor inhibit
        the breadth and depth of your love for me... 

My sins, once forgiven, might as well be forgotten
    since they no longer hold a place in your heart
        which opens in mercy to welcome me home...

Help me, Lord, 
    to bathe in your saving grace,
    to be washed in the blood you shed for me,
    to be cleansed by a love I don't deserve
        but gratefully, humbly receive...

How great is your love, O Lord!
While you may not forget my sins
in your kindness you do not remember them:
    you do not call them to mind,
        nor me to account,
    save I lean on your mercy for pardon
        and cry out to be forgiven... 

You are merciful and gracious, Lord,
    slow to anger and abounding in kindness.
You will not always accuse 
    and you nurse no lasting anger.
You do not deal with us as our sins merit
    nor punish us as our wrongdoing deserves.
Rather, 
    as the heavens tower over the earth,
    so your mercy towers over those who fear you
and
    as far as the east is from the west,
    so far have you removed our sins from us...
(Psalm 103)

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Psalm 103 by Marty Haugen
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
The Lord is kind and merciful,
the Lord is kind and merciful.
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul
and all within me, his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul
bless the Lord O my soul
and never forget all God's benefits. 

It is the Lord who forgives all your sins,
who heals every one of your ills,
who redeems your life from the grave,
who crowns you with mercy and compassion.

The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, and rich in mercy;
he does not treat us according to our sins
nor repay us according to our faults.

As far as the east is from the west
so far from us does he remove our transgressions.
As a father has compassion on his children,
the Lord's compassion is on those who fear him.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!