8/25/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 8/25

This prayer is becoming one of my "annual" posts, 
one for late August - here's this summer's version...

They say "time marches on," Lord,
- and it certainly does!

The passage of time is inexorable: 
    time tires me
    but nothing tires time...

The march of time is unrelenting, unyielding, 
unstoppable and implacable 
so, why, Lord,
why am I taken by surprise 
    that August is almost history, 
    the summer's winding down 
    that fall's around the corner, 
    and Halloween is in the stores...

(I suppose if I didn't find it so hard to believe
that I'm ___ * years old,
I'd find it easier to accept the quickly fading days
of this eighth month of the year...)

Every year, Lord, and every month,
every week and every day, 
every hour and every moment,
every minute and every second 
brings me that much closer 
    to the timeless, 
    to my forever,
    to eternity,
    to you...

The grace in this is simple, Lord:
    you are in every moment,
    you are in every hour, week and day,
    you have walked with me 
        through all my years
    and have never, not even for a second,
        left my side...

Time marches on, Lord,
    and sometimes I keep up
    and sometimes fall behind
    and sometimes I just stop
        in the middle of it all
but even then, time keeps its pace:
    an eternal tide,
    sweeping me from my life's shores
        out to the endless ocean
            of the mystery of your love,
            of your patient, always merciful
                and timeless love for me...

All time is yours 
    and in your kindness, Lord 
        we live on borrowed time:
'til you call us to the timeless,
    to that peace that has no end,
'til you call us home to be with you
    - all in your good time...

Stay with us, Lord, as this day ends
    and tomorrow waits its turn:
protect as we lie awake 
    and guard us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...     

Amen. 

*Not trying to hide my age - I'm 75! 
Just leaving that space open for you to count your years! 


 In His Time by the Maranatha Singers

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!




  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!