2/26/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 2/26



On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight our prayer rises from Jesus' words in today's gospel
 
"One does not live on bread alone, 
but on every word that comes forth 
from the mouth of God..."
 
I was going to pray, Lord,
that you give me a hunger for every word
coming forth from your mouth, from your lips
- but then I realized -  
I already hunger for every word
you speak from your heart to mine...

I'm hungry for your word to heal and to mend 
    what's wounded and broken within me...

I'm hungry for your word to quiet and calm
    my anxious, troubled spirit...

I'm hungry for your word to console and comfort
    my aching, grieving heart...

I'm hungry for your word to strengthen my faith
    and deepen my trust in your love...

I'm hungry for your word to give me hope
    that in time, finally all shall be well...

I'm hungry for your word to embolden me
    to say and to do what the truth demands...
 
I'm hungry for your word to reveal my sin
    to open me up to your mercy and grace...

I'm hungry for your word of wisdom and counsel
    to sort out my worries, doubt and confusion...

I'm hungry for your word to enlighten my mind
    with good judgement, understanding and knowledge...

I'm hungry for the words you speak to me, Lord:
    the words you speak every day, every night,
    the words I strain to hear in my heart,
    the words I miss when I'm bothered and busy,
    the words I hear but fail to consider, 
    the words that call me to trust in you, 
    the words that wash me clean of my sins,
    the words that shape the choices I make,
    the words I need for healing and hope,
    the words that bring me joy and peace,
    the words I'm called to share with others,
    the words that make me one with you
        and one with my brothers and sisters...

Yes, Lord, I'm already hungry for your word,
    for every word that comes from your mouth,
    that flows from your heart to mine...
 
Speak, Lord, 
    I love to listen to your voice;
speak the words I hunger for
    the words I need to hear... 
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
Speak, Lord by Margaret Rizza
 

In the silence of the stars,
In the quiet of the hills,
In the heaving of the sea,
Speak, Lord.

In the stillness of this room,
In the calming of my mind,
In the longing of my heart,
Speak, Lord.

In the voice of a friend,
In the chatter of a child,
In the words of a stranger,
Speak, Lord.

In the opening of a book,
In the looking at a film,
In the listening to music,
Speak, Lord.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!