3/13/23

Monday Morning Offering: 3/13


Coffee in the Morning by George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

I'm still pondering yesterday's gospel, Lord,
and your meeting Rachel at the well, 
and her amazement that you could tell her 
everything she'd ever done 
- and clearly, she had a story to be told...
 
Lord, I know you know me just as well,
as completely, as you knew Rachel:
    you know me better than I know myself
    you know everything I've ever done
but still -
    you offer me your mercy and your love...

You know my missteps and mistakes,
    my blunders and my foolishness,
    my poor choices and foolish decisions,
    my false moves, my lies and half-truths
    and all my selfish ways...

And still you offer me your kindness...

You know my unkind thoughts and words,
    my prejudice and bias,
    my screw-ups and offenses,
    my failures and my faults,
    my jealousy and envy,
    my lust, my pride, my greed...

And still, you offer me forgiveness...

You know my vices and bad habits,
    my anger and my grudges,
    my unjust words and deeds,
    my infidelities and resentments...

And still, you come to pardon me...

You know all my sins, Lord:
    you know every way I've failed
    and everything I've failed to do...
 
You know all the things I've wanted to do,
    everything I meant to do
    and the many things I ought to have done 
        but never got around to...
 
And yet, you search and seek me out,
    again and again and again...

O Lord, you know everything I've ever done.
You know the whole truth of who I am.
You know everything I try to hide 
    from you,
    from others
    and even from myself.
and yet
and still
and even so:
    you offer me forgiveness,
    you tender me your mercy,
    you propose a new beginning,
    you give a second chance
        - and a third, a fourth, a fifth, a sixth
            and many, many more...

You know all my sins, Lord, and yet 
    - indeed, because you do -
you offer me your healing and your blessing...
 
So, meet me at the well, Lord,
    the well of my ordinary, everyday existence;
meet me at the well where I'm parched and dry,
    thirsty for the waters of pardon and peace,
        and the freedom my heart  desires,
            the freedom that's only yours to give...
 
I come to your well this morning, Lord
to offer my heart as a bucket:
    fill it to overflowing,  I pray,
    to flood my life with your grace
    and slake my thirst for life...

Amen.



  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!