3/12/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 3/12


On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we'll follow the motif of thirst and living waters found in the reading from Exodus and the gospel story of Jesus and Rachel (the name I gave in my homily for the woman who met Jesus at the well...

My heart and soul thirst for so many things, Lord,
   for so many blessings and gifts:
      for love, for companionship,
      for healing and wholeness;
      for wisdom and understanding;
      for serenity and grace,
      for mercy and peace...

Some days, some nights, 
I long for even just a sip of living waters,
    pure, sweet and cool,
for a drink that slakes the thirst I know
        deep, deep within...

Like a dry, parched desert land, 
    my soul longs for an oasis, a spring, a stream,
      where I might drink and bathe and be refreshed... 
 
Like Rachel, Lord, I come to your well 
with an empty bucket, 
a thirsty heart 
and a deep desire 
to drink from the waters of mercy,
flowing and streaming into my soul
with healing, pardon and peace...

At the core of every thirst I know,
   at the bottom of my well gone dry,
there lies my soul, parched with a thirst
   that only you can quench...
 
Like the deer who longs for running streams,
    lead me to your waters, Lord,
where grace flows sweet and swift and deep 
    from your heart into mine...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

As The Deer Longs by Scott Soper
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 


As the deer longs for running streams,
so I long, so I long, so I long for you.

1) A-thirst my soul for you the God who is my life!

When shall I see, when shall I see,
see the face of God?

2) Echoes meet as deep is calling unto deep,
over my head, all your mighty waters,
sweeping over me.

3) Continually the foe delights in taunting me:
“Where is God, where is your God?”
Where, O where, are you?

4) Defend me, God, send forth your light and your truth,
they will lead me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling place.

5) Then I shall go unto the altar of my God,
praising you, so my joy and gladness
I shall praise your name.
 
Image source

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!