3/2/23

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 3/3

Image source

Be still and know that I am God...
Ps. 46:11

It takes some, time, Lord,
   to actually settle down,
      take a few deep breaths, relax
         and really be still in your presence...

But way too often I don't slow down much at all! 
Oh, I might steal a few free minutes
    - but with my cell phone still in hand. 
I might think I'm praying 
    but my mind and my attention
       are a hundred miles away.
I'd like to close my eyes
    but I fear I'll fall asleep... 

Real prayer happens when I
   put on the brakes,
   pull off my day's highway, 
   step aside from my schedule,
   find a place to be quiet and still,
   clear some space in my mind
   and then, in the chapel of my heart, 
        wait for you, Lord...

The waiting is the hard part, Lord.
I know you're there, by my side and in my soul.
I know you're not hiding - you want to be found!
 
But I think sometimes I'm waiting to see you with my eyes
   when you're waiting to reveal yourself in my heart...
 
Sometimes I'm waiting to hear your voice in my ears
   when you're waiting to speak to me in the scriptures...
 
And sometimes I'm waiting for your hand on my shoulder
  when you're waiting to touch me in my heart of hearts...
 
This Lent, Lord, teach me 
    to wait for  you in prayer,
    to wait for your presence 
       beside me, around me, and especially within me
and keep me mindful, Lord, 
    that only in the stillness, only in the quiet, 
        will I find you...

Your presence is 
    a fine, translucent mist,
       spun of the Spirit's breath;
    a soft but steady light,
       shining in my soul:
    a deep and holy wisdom,
       whispering in my heart...

And help me remember, Lord, 
    that though I wait to find you,
       you're always there, by my side,
            waiting to be found...

You wait for me 
    to slow my step,
    turn my thoughts in your direction,
    tip my heart towards yours
      and call upon your name with thanks and praise...
 
You wait for me 
    with help for this day's problems...
 
You wait for me 
    with mercy for my failings...
 
You wait for me 
    with healing for my bruises...
 
You wait for me 
    with peace to ease my sorrow...
 
You wait for me 
    with light to fill my darkness...
 
You wait for me 
    with grace to calm my fears...
 
You wait for me 
    to make a time and find a place
where I might rest 
    - and wait for you...

You've been waiting for me 
    since before all time began;
you wait for me when I'm faithful 
    - and when I'm not;
you never tire of waiting for me
    while I, Lord, wait for you...

Help me be still, Lord,
    that I might find you and know you,
help me wait for you who wait for me,
    my patient Lord and God...

And in the quiet, in the stillness,
   let me find peace, even in the waiting:
      in my waiting for you and in your waiting for me...

Amen.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!