4/2/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Palm Sunday 3/2



On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we reflect on the second scripture from the Palm Sunday liturgy, Philippians 2:5-11.

Christ Jesus, though he was in the form of God, 
   did not regard equality with God
   something to be grasped.
Rather, he emptied himself,
    taking the form of a slave,
    coming in human likeness
and found human in appearance,
    he humbled himself,
    becoming obedient to the point of death,
    even death on a cross...

 
I come in prayer tonight, Lord,
    with a heart that needs to be emptied,
    a heart that needs to be filled...

You showed us how, Lord,
    you showed us the way:
you humbled yourself to the Father's will
    you emptied yourself,
and now you invite us 
   to humble and empty ourselves
that we might be filled
    with your mercy, your grace and your peace...

I don't always find it easy, Lord, 
   to empty myself of things I want,
things I want get and have,
    things I want to collect, to keep
        and hold on to...     

Nor do I find it easy to let go:
   the pain I've somehow befriended,
   the self-pity I keep for protection,
   the burdens I cling to for cover
   and the masks I wear for disguise...

Help my heart discern, Lord,
    what to keep and what to lose,
    what to treasure, what to toss...
    what to hold, what to surrender,
    what to save and what needs saving
        by your mercy, grace and truth...

And as I let go, Lord, of things that I don't need:
    fill my heart to overflowing 
        with what satisfies and nourishes,
        what strengthens and redeems me
            through life you gave for me..  

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 MMMMMMM
These Alone Are Enough by Dan Schutte
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

 
Take my heart, O Lord, take my hopes and dreams.
Take my mind with all its plans and schemes.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

Take my thoughts, Oh Lord, and my memory.
Take my tears, my joys, my liberty.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

I surrender, Lord, all I have and hold.
I return to you your gifts untold.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

When the darkness falls on my final days,
take the very breath that sang your praise.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me. 

  
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!