7/20/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 7/20



I spend a fair amount of time, Lord, 
    just waiting
        - waiting for you -
even though I'm not always sure 
    exactly what or whom I'm waiting for:
    - am I waiting for you to appear so I might see you?
    - 
am I waiting for you to speak so I might hear you?
    - 
am I waiting upon your touch so I might know you're there?
    - 
am I waiting for you to mend all my brokenness?
    - am I waiting for you to fix all my problems?
    - 
am I waiting for you to fill me with your joy?
    - am I waiting for you to answer all my prayers
        and in just the way I hope you're going to answer?
 
Of course, I'd be really happy
if you came to me in any (or all!) of those ways
to do what I'm waiting for you to do...
 
But most of the time
I just keep on waiting 
and I wonder:
    - have you shown up in my life 
        and I've missed you,  
            just not noticed you were there?
    - have you spoken a word I didn't hear
        when I was too busy or too distracted to pay attention?
    - have you reached out to lift me up
        and I've not felt your hand upon my shoulder?
    - have you offered healing of what hurts inside,
        of the pain I often cling to?
    - have I missed some joy you brought my way
        when I was lost in my self-pity?
    - have I missed your answers to my prayers
        because they came in ways I'd not expected?

It's very possible, Lord, 
    that in any or all of these moments
       I've missed you in my waiting
and so I'll pray and wait some more
  and then I'll pray again and wait again
        and then I'll wait some more...
 
In my prayer tonight, Lord:
    - let me close my eyes and see your face
    - let me listen in the stillness
          and hear the word you speak to me
    - let me know your healing touch upon my soul
    - let me open wide my heart to any joy
        you drop from your hands into mine
and in all of this, in all my waiting, Lord:
    - let me hear your answer to my prayer...
 
I wait and I pray, Lord,
    and I pray and I wait
        and I wait and I pray some more,
but not in vain:
    - for whether I see you or not,
          I trust, I know, you're always with me
    - whether I hear you speak or not,
          I trust, I know you call me by my name
    - whether I feel your touch or not,
          I trust, I know your arms reach out to hold me
    - whether I'm healed today or not,
          I trust, I know your mercy bathes my wounds
    - whether I find some joy in life today or not,
          I trust, I know your Spirit fills my soul
    - whether you answer me today or not,
          I trust, I know you hear my every prayer...
 
And so I wait and pray, 
    and so I pray and wait
        and in my waiting, Lord,
I pray that when you come, 
    I'll see you and I'll know you
        as you draw near by my side
for as I, Lord, wait for you,
    I trust and know you wait for me...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
   and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch for you
   and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Wait on the Lord by Tommy Walker

If a video doesn't appear below, click here! 



  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!